Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease is a condition in which the stomach’s contents regurgitate into the esophagus. GERD can have many different symptoms, with heartburn being the most common. The following things should be considered in order to decrease these symptoms.
- It’s important to limit foods that can worsen GERD. Things to avoid include:
- Spicy and acidic foods
- Citric fruits such as lemons, oranges, tomatoes
- Fatty foods
- Effort should be made to eat slowly and to eat smaller more frequent meals.
- Avoid bending over or laying down for 2-3 hours after eating
- Avoid smoking which may exacerbate GERD
- Avoid chewing gum which may increase production of gastric acid
- Try not to gain weight which may contribute to acid reflux
- Consider elevating your head when you sleep
These dietary recommendations are specifically meant for the condition which it treats.